Subject: Handling of modular boards

From: [email-masked] (Igor Grinberg)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:40:56 +0300

On 05/05/12 01:09, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 10:33:57PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> 
>> On the other hand, some of the issues we're trying to solve here
>> for the kernel are also present in the boot loader, so this needs to
>> do this anyway - whether by inserting new or modifying (enabling or
>> disabling) existing properties in the DT is not really relevant here.
> 
> FWIW if the bootloader can usefully handle this stuff I think that's a
> good approach but there is substantial variation in quality of
> implementation between bootloaders and even when the bootloader is a
> good one it's not always practical to update it or the data it relies
> on.

I agree on this (and also with Ben), all our boards/extensions/base boards/etc
can be discovered in the boot loader and we will use the DT to pass
the relevant information on the attached extensions and used base board.

Also, most (if not all) of our boards/extensions have I2C EEPROM which
describes the devices on that board/extension which is useful for
building/extending the DT in the bootloader.

- -- 
Regards,
Igor.