Subject: [PATCH] ARM: omap: clock: Get rid of unwanted clkdm assocations within clks

From: [email-masked] (Rajendra Nayak)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:22:45 +0530

Hi Paul,

On Thursday 07 June 2012 12:37 PM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Rajendra Nayak wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 17 May 2012 03:54 PM, Rajendra Nayak wrote:
>>> clkdm assocations with clocks in the clock framework are useful
>>> only for 'gate' clocks which have enable/disable ops populated.
>>> Get rid of the clkdm_names populated in any other type of clocks.
>
> I don't really see the point in changing this before the common clock
> conversion.  The design of most of the current low-level OMAP PM layers
> was predicated on each clock belonging to a clockdomain.  The testing
> overhead of changing this before the common clock conversion is something
> that I don't have time for, and almost no one else seems interested in
> doing.
>
> Your common clock conversion moots this patch anyway, right?

Yes, I can include this as part of the common clock conversion series.
What I was trying to say is that neither the clock framework not any
other OMAP PM layer today makes any use of this information except for
gate clocks. The only 2 places in the clock framework this is used is
in omap2_dflt_clk_enable()/omap2_dflt_clk_disable() functions, which
are nops for non gate clocks.
So I don;t fully understand what you mean by our current low-level PM
design being based on this assumption that every clock belongs to a
clockdomain.
Did I miss anything else our PM frameworks do with the clock<->clkdm
association? The reason I am asking is because I am doing a lot of 
changes around based on this assumption and would really like to know
if I am missing something.

regards,
Rajendra

> - Paul