Subject: [PATCH 04/11] ARM: OMAP2+: usb_host_fs: add custom reset for usb_host_fs (fsusb)

From: [email-masked] (Cousson, Benoit)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 15:13:48 +0200

On 6/8/2012 3:11 AM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
>
>> Indeed, what I did not mention is that potentially the whole device init
>> should be done ondemand as well. Meaning the whole hwmod setup phase should be
>> done only when the driver will probe the device.
>
> That means if no driver exists for an IP block, or if the driver isn't
> using PM runtime, the IP block won't be reset.  And somehow we still are
> missing drivers in mainline.  We also still have drivers that aren't yet
> PM runtime converted.

No the point is still the same as before. You let the drivers do the job 
if they are there, and then do a pass at very late time during the boot 
process to handle the ones that were not probed by any driver.

At least you will avoid the enable -> reset -> idle -> enable sequence 
we are doing right now for most of the active drivers when it is not 
necessary.

Regards,
Benoit