Subject: Dove clock support

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Hesselbarh)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:42:01 +0200

On 06/18/2012 10:43 AM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Sure, the address layout is different, but that can be made generic in a
>> second step. Maybe we need a private pointer in the gate_fn struct.
>
> Yes, something like that.

You need to pass at least the controllers base address. Everything else
is common - IIRC kirkwood has two SATA, dove only one. Moreover the base
addresses for the second are not defined, yet.

Also ge-phy has to be connected with ge-clk, too. But for dove this is
a clk gate while kirkwood can shut it down somewhere else. I guess it
can be handled like sata/pcie on kirkwood.

>> BTW: who will enable the clocks that have been disabled via the
>> sata/pcie shutdown functions?
>
> This is potentially a problem when the SATA driver is built as a
> kernel module. There is no code that i know of to turn the SATA PHYs
> back on again. I think this has been broken like this for a long
> time...

IMHO the driver should take care of enabling clk and PHYs. In my
understanding of the common clock framework both will be disabled
if no driver requests it.

Sebastian