Subject: [PATCH V2 5/6] x86: add CONFIG_ARM_AMBA, selected by STA2X11

From: [email-masked] (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:06:53 -0700

On 05/28/2012 09:37 AM, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> The sta2x11 I/O Hub is a bridge from PCIe to AMBA. It reuses a number
> of amba drivers and needs to activate core bus support.
>
> Signed-off-by: Alessandro Rubini <[email-masked]>
> Acked-by: Giancarlo Asnaghi <[email-masked]>
> ---
>   arch/x86/Kconfig |    4 ++++
>   1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

> diff --git a/arch/x86/Kconfig b/arch/x86/Kconfig
> index 91dea918..112718f 100644
> --- a/arch/x86/Kconfig
> +++ b/arch/x86/Kconfig
> @@ -500,6 +500,7 @@ config STA2X11
>  	select SWIOTLB
>  	select MFD_STA2X11
>  	select ARCH_REQUIRE_GPIOLIB
> +	select ARM_AMBA
>  	default n
>  	---help---
>  	  This adds support for boards based on the STA2X11 IO-Hub,
> @@ -2173,6 +2174,9 @@ config GEOS
>
>  endif # X86_32
>
> +config ARM_AMBA
> +        bool
> +
>  config AMD_NB
>  	def_bool y
>  	depends on CPU_SUP_AMD && PCI

Nacked-by: H. Peter Anvin <[email-masked]>

This brings in tons of code into the x86 all{yes,mod}config builds, and 
as perhaps one could expect some of it doesn't compile.  For example:

/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c: In function 
?dmac_alloc_resources?:
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:2056:2: warning: 
passing argument 3 of ?dma_alloc_attrs? from incompatible
  pointer type [enabled by default]
In file included from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/dma-mapping.h:73:0,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:22:
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/dma-mapping.h:130:1: 
note: expected ?dma_addr_t *? but argument is of typ
e ?u32 *?
   CC      sound/pci/au88x0/au8830.o
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:73:0: warning: 
"DS" redefined [enabled by default]
In file included from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace.h:5:0,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/vm86.h:130,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:10,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/thread_info.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/thread_info.h:54,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/vmalloc.h:4,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/io.h:195,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/io.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:15:
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace-abi.h:13:0: note: 
this is the location of the previous definition
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:89:0: warning: 
"ES" redefined [enabled by default]
In file included from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace.h:5:0,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/vm86.h:130,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:10,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/thread_info.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/thread_info.h:54,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/vmalloc.h:4,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/io.h:195,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/io.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:15:
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace-abi.h:14:0: note: 
this is the location of the previous definition
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:100:0: warning: 
"CS" redefined [enabled by default]
In file included from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace.h:5:0,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/vm86.h:130,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:10,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/thread_info.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/thread_info.h:54,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/vmalloc.h:4,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/io.h:195,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/include/linux/io.h:22,
                  from 
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/pl330.c:15:
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace-abi.h:19:0: note: 
this is the location of the previous definition
   CC      drivers/dma/pch_dma.o
   CC      drivers/dma/amba-pl08x.o
/home/hpa/kernel/tip.x86-platform/drivers/dma/amba-pl08x.c:86:32: fatal 
error: asm/hardware/pl080.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[4]: *** [drivers/dma/amba-pl08x.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [drivers/dma] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

-- 
H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.