Subject: [PATCH 1/3] mfd: support 88pm80x in 80x driver

From: [email-masked] (Qiao Zhou)
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 18:09:57 +0800

On 07/02/2012 06:03 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:22:34PM +0800, Qiao Zhou wrote:
>> On 07/02/2012 03:50 PM, Qiao Zhou wrote:
>
>>> Here I have a question about the implementation specifically with
>>> 88pm800. this chip has 3 register pages, and 3 i2c address corresponding
>>> to each page. so it requires an additional parameter to point out the
>>> page(i2c) to be accessed. currently I didn't think of a good API to
>>> export for such purpose. seems to me, the 88pm800 chip is already bound
>>> to i2c interface, and using regmap directly is a better solution. could
>>> you give some suggestions?
>
>> is it OK to export another two groups of r/w interface for gpadc and
>> power page separately in 88pm800? such as pm800_gpadc_read_reg() /
>> pm800_power_read_reg() etc?  Appreciate any comments.
>
> What do you mean by pages?  regmap has paging support which just maps
> everything into a single flat register map from the point of view of
> callers.
>
Mark, let me explain: the 88pm800 chip has three i2c address internally, 
which we called different page instead. it confuses you with the 
register page_read/write operation. there are registers in each i2c 
address domain, and we need to use different i2c client to access reg in 
different domain. such as some common regs are in the page of i2c_addr = 
0x30, and power related regs are in the page of i2c_addr = 0x31, and 
gpadc related regs are in the page of 0x32.

-- 

Best Regards
Qiao