Subject: [PATCH 1/1] mfd: Fix runtime warning caused by duplicate device registration

From: [email-masked] (Lee Jones)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:12:09 +0100

On 05/07/12 14:03, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:55:50PM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
>> On 05/07/12 13:45, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>>> Right, so what I'm saying is that what I'd expect unless there's
>>> something unusual going on is that you wouldn't be doing the separate
>>> registration of the AB8500 here and would instead be passing the
>>> platform data for the AB8500 through in the same way you pass the DT
>>> data through.
>
>> Then were would you register it, if not here?
>
> Same place as for DT.

That is a possibility, but the idea is to reduce code in the platform 
area, not add to it. We'd also need a completely separate platform_data 
structure to the one we use for platform registration, as much of it has 
now been moved into Device Tree. The regulators are a good example of 
this, but there's also GPIO information which is no longer relevant etc.

I do believe that registering the AB8500 from the DB8500 is appropriate 
though, for the simple reason that the AB8500 is a sub-device to the 
DB8500. I think this is the correct thing to do. But anyway, as I said 
before, that ship has sailed. We _already_ do this. All this patch does 
is prevent the AB8500 from being registered twice when DT is not enabled.

-- 
Lee Jones
Linaro ST-Ericsson Landing Team Lead
M: +44 77 88 633 515
Linaro.org ? Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog