Subject: [U-Boot] Where to put a large bootloader-supplied device tree on ARM ?

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:28:22 -0500

On 07/12/2012 04:47 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Albert ARIBAUD,
> 
> In message <20120712233801.0411daa7@lilith> you wrote:
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, yes U-Boot loads itself as high as it can, and I don't
>> know about the FDT, but no, U-Boot does not "like" to load initrd "just
>> below that": it loads initrd where the boot commands tell it to, and the
>> boot commands are written by board developers. Nothing in U-Boot forces
>> initrd to be loaded as high as possible.

u-boot loads the initrd where you tell it, then bootm relocates it for
some reason.

>>
>> That leaves the question of the FDT, though -- I'm not familiar enough
>> with it (yet) to tell if it is always located just under U-Boot or if
>> its placement is controllable by board commands.
> 
> You can always just set the "fdt_high" and "initrd_high" evironment
> variables to restrict the positioning of initrd and FDT in RAM; see
> the README for details.

Yes, I'm aware of all this, but this is not the default behavior and the
default behavior will not work in this case. It also has another bug
related to the relocation that I fixed:

http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot at lists.denx.de/msg86475.html

Rob