Subject: [PATCH 17/21] ASoC: Ux500: Enable ux500 PCM driver for Device Tree

From: [email-masked] (Lee Jones)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:55:47 +0100

On 26/07/12 15:22, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 02:52:09PM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
>> On 26/07/12 12:38, Mark Brown wrote:
>
>>>> -	pr_info("%s: Register platform-device 'ux500-pcm'\n", __func__);
>>>> -	platform_device_register(&ux500_pcm);
>
>>> This has the same issue as your last patch...  the way you're doing
>>> things will break audio on all boards using this driver.
>
>> It will, why?
>
> You've just removed registration of the device and not added anything
> else to replace that.  Even if all boards convert to DT their DTs will
> need to be updated which you're not doing.

The initialisation function which calls platform_device_register() is 
only executed during a DT boot. The clue is in the title 
mop500_of_msp_init(). The DT is populated _before_ this patch, but I 
guess you mean if they are separated into subsystem trees and are placed 
into -next/Mainline out of order.

I will merge these patches with the DT population instead to overcome 
this possibility. It makes more sense to keep the arch/arm stuff 
together in any case.

-- 
Lee Jones
Linaro ST-Ericsson Landing Team Lead
Linaro.org ? Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog