Subject: [PATCH v2 3/3] ARM: imx_v6_v7_defconfig: Select MXS_DMA

From: [email-masked] (Dirk Behme)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:30:43 +0200

On 26.07.2012 13:32, Huang Shijie wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Fabio Estevam <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Huang Shijie <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Fabio Estevam <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Huang Shijie <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> But you have added "depend on MXS_DMA". So If you do not select the
>>>>> mxs-dma, you can not see the
>>>>> gpmi-nand.
>>>>> that's why i think this patch is not needed.
>>>> So how CONFIG_MXS_DMA would be selected if not via defconfig?
>>> Use the make menuconfig ARCH=arm:
>>>
>>> "device drivers"-->"DMA engine support" -->"mxs dma support"
>> I prefer to have selected in the defconfig by default instead.
>>
>> It is not obvious for the end user that they need to manually select
>> this option.
>>
>> mxs_defconfig also selects CONFIG_MXS_DMA.
> In mx23/mx28, the mxs-dma has many users, so it's proper to make it default.
> 
>> Can't we do the same here and let imx_v6_v7_defconfig be built again?
> Shawn, do you have any opinion about this?

First, I think Shawn is on holiday at the moment.

Second, recent kernel mainline from today building imx_v6_v7_defconfig 
is broken due to this.

So to make it build again, we have to enable CONFIG_MXS_DMA anyhow. As 
it seems that GPMI_NAND needs it to build, I would vote for the

depends on MXS_DMA

fix proposed by Richard

http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg186111.html

Anyhow, any chance to get the kernel mainline fixed asap?

Many thanks and best regards

Dirk