Subject: [PATCH 1/6] ARM: move ARCH config definitions into mach dirs

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:18:52 -0500

On 08/29/2012 06:31 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:49:55PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
>> From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
>>
>> In preparation for mulit-platform support, convert all platforms' ARCH_
>> definition to a hidden option and create a new choice option.
> 
> This is churn and annoyance.  It's definitely annoyance for the
> autobuilder because it's going to have to have symbols changed in the
> seed configs. It's annoyance for people because they're going to have
> to manually reselect their SoC types in every build they do.
> 
> I think also that Kconfig will end up on 'make oldconfig' selecting
> one of the platforms, deselecting all the dependencies on that platform,
> which then means you'll have thousands of Kconfig options to answer.
> 
> I've been there with x86 configs, and spent something like an hour
> piecing together a configuration for my laptop, answering one question
> every couple of seconds.  That is not a nice experience to inflict on
> people.

Then what do you suggest? I can think of a few alternatives.

Leave the current name and make the hidden option a new name like
ARCH_xx_OPTIONS. This would require renaming ARCH_xxx for each platform
all over the tree. I don't care to sign up for that task...

Move platforms one by one out of the choice as they are converted. I
can't think of a reason for a platform to be in both places except we
would have to figure out something for getting DEBUG_LL to work.

Rob