Subject: [PATCH 00/10] Make mach/gpio.h optional

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:27:15 -0500

On 08/29/2012 06:40 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:31:26PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
>> From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
>>
>> This series makes mach/gpio.h optional like we have done for other mach
>> headers in preparation for multi-platform kernel images. Unfortunately,
>> it adds more mach includes to drivers/, but really they are just now
>> explicitly included and easily found.
> 
> This in general looks like a complete backwards step rather than a forwards
> step for multi-platform kernels.  All these drivers are not going to be
> usable in multi-platform kernel images, because with mach/ includes they're
> not going to be picking up the correct set of headers.

These drivers are already not usable. I'm just making that obvious.

> So all these SoC types might as well not be part of the multi-platform
> project until they get their act together with their headers.

Precisely the point. It is pushing the problem to the sub-arches so they
can clean-up their stuff if they want to get into a multi-plat image. I
expect we will see some clean starting in parallel with this. The omap
folks are working omap headers and there were some clean-ups for Marvell
parts posted. Arnd has platform_data header series he is working on.

Rob