Subject: [PATCH 3/3] i2c: nomadik: Add Device Tree support to the Nomadik I2C driver

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:09:34 -0500

On 09/03/2012 09:35 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Stephen Warren <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 09/03/2012 05:58 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Lee Jones <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> No, this is wrong. Platform data should not override DT.
>>>>
>>>> If DT is enabled and passed, it should have highest priority.
>>
>> No, that's wrong. If platform data is specified, it overrides DT, so
>> that if the DT needs any fixup, it can be provided using platform data.
> 
> Thanks Stephen, now there are two of us saying this, Lee please
> follow this design pattern.
> 
> (Unless Rob/Grant start shouting counter-orders...)

Ideally, you only use DT or platform_data and you override DT with a new
DTB. Hopefully we can ultimately remove platform_data or all but parts
that can't be described in DT (i.e. function callouts).

But if you are handling both, then I agree that platform_data should
override DT.

Rob