Subject: [PATCH V4 2/2] video: drm: exynos: Add device tree support

From: [email-masked] (Sylwester Nawrocki)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 13:05:31 +0200

Hi,

On 09/06/2012 09:21 AM, InKi Dae wrote:
>>> +Required properties:
>>> + - compatible: Should be "samsung,exynos5-fimd" or "samsung,exynos4-fb" for
>> Doesn't better to use single word? fimd or fb?. I think 'fb' is used
>> for framebuffer historically.
>> but now it's used both fb and drm, so fimd is neutral and architecture
>> specific.
>>
>> To do this, Modify arch-exynos first and update it at each drivers it properly.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Kyungmin Park
>>
> 
> I agree with Kyungmin but I'd like to use as is. the reason we used
> 'exynos4-fb' as device name, is for that it uses fimd driver's
> platform device commonly and gets fimd clock. so I think that dts file
> should be defined with hardware specific name but not driver name such
> as 'exynos4-fb'. but with this, we can't get fimd clock with device's
> name because 'exynos4-fb' is used as device name of fimd clock. so to
> use 'exynos4-fimd', we should modify the device name of fimd clock
> from 'exynos4-fb'  to 'exynos4-fimd' and also ids definitions of
> s3c-fb and drm fimd driver. so my conclusion is that it merges this

I think it's good moment to put those things in order, i.e. use uniform 
'compatible' names: "samsung,exynos4-fimd", "samsung,exynos5-fimd". 
Platform device names are separate issue, but could perhaps be unified 
at this time as well.

> patch set as is and then let's modify related things later.
> any opinions, welcome~ anytime.
> 
> Thanks.
> Inki Dae

--

Regards,
Sylwester