Subject: [PATCH] ARM: add support for BCM2708/BCM2835 and Raspberry Pi

From: [email-masked] (Simon Arlott)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 23:10:45 +0100

On 06/09/12 17:53, Seth Jennings wrote:
> (sorry for the dup Stephen, forgot to reply all :-/)
> 
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Stephen Warren <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> The BCM2708 is an ARM SoC from Broadcom. It is the primary SoC in a
>> series which contains the BCM2835 amongst other variants. This patch
>> adds very basic support for this series of SoCs, under the BCM2708 name.
> 
> Great work! I'm glad to see this heading upstream :)
> 
>> This series was extracted from git://github.com/lp0/linux.git branch
>> rpi-next or rpi-linear from 3-4 months ago, and significantly stripped
>> down and modified since.

I don't know why you're using the rpi-linear branch when the rpi-split
branch has the same content but everything already split into separate
patches...

> I've used Simon's tree before and it will boot up all the way with UART
> support (no graphics, usb, network).  I also think it has a fully
> populated device tree.

It has supported graphics for a while:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/wiki/How-to-boot-using-device-tree#wiki-Configuration

I've been waiting over 3 months now for device tree support to be added
to the GPU-based bootloader and it still hasn't appeared.

> Why, in particular, did you strip it down?
> 
> I'm new to the ARM SoC upstreaming scene so there might be a obvious
> reason of which I'm not aware.
> 
> --
> Seth

-- 
Simon Arlott