Subject: [PATCH v7 0/5] Add mipi dsi support for rk3288

From: [email-masked] (Heiko Stuebner)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 11:52:21 +0100

Hi Archit,

Am Montag, 8. Februar 2016, 15:42:04 schrieb Archit Taneja:
> On 01/06/2016 09:33 AM, Chris Zhong wrote:
> > The rk3288 MIPI DSI is a Synopsys DesignWare MIPI DSI host controller
> > IP. This series adds support for a Synopsys DesignWare MIPI DSI host
> > controller DRM driver.
> > 
> > The MIPI DSI feature is tested on rk3288 evb board, backport them to
> > chrome os kernel chrome_v3.14, and it can display normally.
> > 
> > This patchset is base on the patchset from Ying.liu at freescale.com.
> > <http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg77181.html>
> > 
> > According to the suggestion from Thierry, I have get rid of the bridge,
> > and register the encoder & connecter in drm/rockchip/dw-mipi-dsi.c.
> 
> I've raised this question too late, but what was the reason to not
> implement the DSI block as a bridge driver?

There seems to always be some sort of contention about those being bridge 
drivers - I think I remember Thierry speaking up about that. But I don't 
remember if any different solution was suggested.

Also as we have seen with current shared IPs (dw-hdmi + analogix-dp) there 
are always implementation-specific parts and deciding which needs to land 
where is difficult without the secondary user present.

The first iterations where using a bridge-driver-base for it but I guess it 
was to much hassle without seeing another user on the horizon.

> The drm/hisilicon IP seems to use a very similar DSI Designware IP (the
> register offsets seems to be the same). There is a good potential of
> re-use here by different kms drivers here the way it's already done for
> DW HDMI and the analogix DP driver that's in review process.

I guess, the second user now gets to do the generalization ;-)

Heiko