Subject: [PATCH] ARM: Push selects for TWD/SCU into machine entries

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Boyd)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:22:28 -0700

On 10/04/12 06:05, Rob Herring wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 03:50 AM, Stephen Boyd wrote:
>> The TWD and SCU configs are selected by default as long as
>> SCORPIONMP is false and/or MCT is false. Implementing the logic
>> this way certainly saves lines in the Kconfig but it precludes
>> those machines which select SCORPIONMP or MCT from participating
>> in the single zImage effort because when those machines are
>> combined with other SMP capable machines the TWD and SCU are no
>> longer selected.
>>
>> Push the select out to the machine entries so that we can compile
>> these machines together and still select the appropriate configs.
> I think this is the wrong direction as I'd like to see the platform
> selects shrink. I believe the local timers are run-time enabled now, so
> can't we just drop the condition and always select TWD and SCU for
> multi-platform?

That sounds fine for multi-platform but it penalizes the "optimized"
images made for a particular device that doesn't want any extra code
than is necessary. Isn't this why we have the Kconfig language?

>
> Or perhaps we need a CortexA9 config symbol that selects V7, GIC, TWD,
> SCU, SMP, PL310, errata, etc. rather than duplicating those for every
> platform.
>
>

This sounds like a good consolidation of lines that can be done in
parallel to this patch. Care to send a patch on top?

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation