Subject: [revert request for commit 9fff2fa] Re: [git pull] signals pile 3

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Mack)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:21:53 +0200

On 14.10.2012 19:55, Al Viro wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 06:26:40PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 06:44:12PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
>>> On Oct 14, 2012 6:40 PM, "Al Viro" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 05:35:23PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I rebased my ARM development branch and figured that your patch 9fff2fa
>>>>> ("arm: switch to saner kernel_execve() semantics") breaks the boot on my
>>>>> board right after init is invoked via NFS:
>>>>
>>>> OK, revert it is, then.  Nothing in the tree has dependencies on that
>>> sucker
>>>> and while it survives testing here, it's obviously not ready for mainline.
>>>> So, with abject apologies to everyone involved, please revert.
>>>
>>> Reverting it is not straight forward, and half of this patch doesn't seem
>>> to cause issues.
>>>
>>> I can resend my patch with an S-o-b if you want me to.
>>
>> Um...  That's _really_ interesting.  First of all, revert is absolutely
>> straightforward; the only change in Kconfig is "remove the damn select"
>> and it's not hard to resolve.  But I actually wonder what the hell is
>> going on with that breakage - the *only* thing your revert changes is
>> that instead of letting the kernel_thread callback return all the way
>> to returning 0 to ret_from_kernel_thread() on do_execve() success you
>> have it do ret_from_kernel_execve() instead.  Hmm...
>>
>> Could you try to print current_pt_regs()->ARM_r0 in kernel_execve() before
>> calling ret_from_kernel_execve() with your patch applied?  If that somehow
>> got non-zero, we'd see trouble, all right, but I don't see any places where
>> it could.
>>
>> Wait a minute...  I think I see what might be going on, but I don't
>> understand it at all.  Look: arm start_thread() is
>> #define start_thread(regs,pc,sp)                                        \
>> ({                                                                      \
>>         unsigned long *stack = (unsigned long *)sp;                     \
>>         memset(regs->uregs, 0, sizeof(regs->uregs));                    \
>>         if (current->personality & ADDR_LIMIT_32BIT)                    \
>>                 regs->ARM_cpsr = USR_MODE;                              \
>>         else                                                            \
>>                 regs->ARM_cpsr = USR26_MODE;                            \
>>         if (elf_hwcap & HWCAP_THUMB && pc & 1)                          \
>>                 regs->ARM_cpsr |= PSR_T_BIT;                            \
>>         regs->ARM_cpsr |= PSR_ENDSTATE;                                 \
>>         regs->ARM_pc = pc & ~1;         /* pc */                        \
>>         regs->ARM_sp = sp;              /* sp */                        \
>>         regs->ARM_r2 = stack[2];        /* r2 (envp) */                 \
>>         regs->ARM_r1 = stack[1];        /* r1 (argv) */                 \
>>         regs->ARM_r0 = stack[0];        /* r0 (argc) */                 \
>>         nommu_start_thread(regs);                                       \
>> })
>> and the last 3 make no sense whatsoever.  Note that on normal execve() we'll
>> be going through the syscall return, so the userland will see 0 in there,
>> no matter what do we do here.  Theoretically, it might've been done for
>> ptrace sake (it will be able to observe the values in those registers before
>> the tracee reaches userland), but there's another oddity involved - "stack"
>> is a userland pointer here.  Granted, it's been recently written to, so
>> we are not likely to hit a pagefault here, but...  What happens if we are
>> under enough memory pressure to swap those pages out?  PF in the kernel
>> mode with no exception table entries for those insns?
> 
> FWIW, if you don't mind an experiment, try to take mainline (with that
> commit not reverted) and add
> 	strne	r0, [sp, #S_R0]
> right before
> 	get_thread_info tsk
> in ret_from_fork().  And see if that changes behaviour.
> 

I don't mind experiments at all :)

However, with that extra line in place as described, I'm still getting
the Oops below. If you want me to test anything else, please let me know.

[    4.683182] VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:12.
[    4.742007] devtmpfs: mounted
[    4.745746] Freeing init memory: 172K
[    5.038724] Internal error: Oops - undefined instruction: 0 [#1] SMP
THUMB2
[    5.046044] Modules linked in:
[    5.049263] CPU: 0    Not tainted  (3.6.0-11053-g56c8535-dirty #136)
[    5.055925] PC is at cpsw_probe+0x422/0x9ac
[    5.060314] LR is at trace_hardirqs_on_caller+0x8f/0xfc
[    5.065790] pc : [<c03493de>]    lr : [<c005e81f>]    psr: 60000113
[    5.065790] sp : cf055fb0  ip : 00000000  fp : 00000000
[    5.077800] r10: 00000000  r9 : 00000000  r8 : 00000000
[    5.083270] r7 : 00000000  r6 : 00000000  r5 : c034458d  r4 : 00000000
[    5.090101] r3 : cf057a40  r2 : 00000000  r1 : 00000001  r0 : 00000000
[    5.096936] Flags: nZCv  IRQs on  FIQs on  Mode SVC_32  ISA ARM
Segment user
[    5.104406] Control: 50c5387d  Table: 8f434019  DAC: 00000015
[    5.110422] Process init (pid: 1, stack limit = 0xcf054240)
[    5.116257] Stack: (0xcf055fb0 to 0xcf056000)
[    5.120824] 5fa0:                                     00000001
00000000 00000000 00000000
[    5.129390] 5fc0: cf055fb0 c000d1a8 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000
[    5.137957] 5fe0: 00000000 becedf10 00000000 b6f81dd0 00000010
00000000 aaaabfaf a8babbaa
[    5.146529] Code: 2206a010 718ef508 0184f8da f8b1f65d (3070f8d8)
[    5.152915] ---[ end trace 7362bbe8e73e6b07 ]---
[    5.158324] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x0000000b
[    5.158324]