Subject: [PATCH 1/5] ARM: OMAP2+: gpmc: Fix kernel BUG for DT boot mode

From: [email-masked] (Jon Hunter)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:30:31 -0500

On 10/18/2012 01:04 PM, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 22:12:07, Hunter, Jon wrote:

...

>> Yes, but do you also see the bug that is hiding in gpmc_mem_init()?
>>
>> My point is to highlight this and not hide it, so that we can fix it
>> now. Otherwise if we wait until we enable the gpmc driver with DT and
>> this could hinder the DT migration later.
>>
> 
> As I already mentioned in my previous response, your patch is required 
> irrespective of this patch. I would consider your patch as a cleanup patch.
> 
> 
> Both the patches are independent, your patch is handling the error path 
> properly, whereas, my patch makes sure that you don't unnecessarily probe 
> GPMC if you are booting from DT and GPMC node is not present, as described 
> above.

Your patch hides a bug. That's my point. How do you expect am335x ever
to support gpmc devices if this bug is not addressed?

So I think that you are over-simplifying it when you say that my patch
is just a clean-up patch. I agree that it is adding appropriate error
handling, but it also highlights the presence of a bug by allowing the
probe to fail.

Anyway, I don't care to debate this any further, we just need to fix
gpmc_mem_init().

Jon