Subject: [PATCH v3 3/4] arm: mvebu: move irq controller driver to drivers/irqchip

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Hesselbarth)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:38:59 +0100

On 10/29/2012 10:24 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>> using ARCH_MVEBU for enabling irq-armada-370-xp here will lead to
>> incompatibilities with Orion SoCs when they move over to ARCH_MVEBU.
>
> Not really: the driver is probed depending on the DT compatible string.
> So we can perfectly have two irqchip drivers being enabled on
> ARCH_MVEBU.

I agreed but this will always build irq-armada-370-xp into the kernel
although I maybe want a orion-only kernel. Although multi-platform will
be great for ARM, I doubt that every kernel will be multi-platform?

>> With a Kconfig within drivers/irqchip you could define a
>> ARMADA_370_XP_IRQ and select that in MACH_ARMADA_370 and MACH_ARMADA_XP
>> or MACH_ARMADA_370_XP, which all already exist.
>
> But agreed, I could use MACH_ARMADA_370_XP. I don't know if we want to
> add Kconfig options for each irqchip driver.

Ok.

>> As soon as the patch is through, I can provide (and use) a irq-orion
>> based on irqchip. I can provide it earlier but to actually use it there
>> are still some other patches required on Dove. Other Orions could
>> switch now, I guess.
>
> Are you sure? The irqchip drivers only work for sub-architecture that
> are fully converted to the Device Tree. And I don't think all of
> mach-orion5x, mach-dove, mach-kirkwood and mach-mv78xx0 are converted
> to the DT.

Hmm, I do have an experimental branch of Dove with irqchip enabled that
works perfectly fine even with non-DT code in it. Actually, it is based
on 3.7-rc3 which means it is before your patches.

But the irq controller itself is referenced from DT, of course.

Sebastian