Subject: [PULL REQ] IXP4xx changes for Linux 3.7

From: [email-masked] (Ryan Mallon)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:46:12 +1100

On 18/10/12 09:01, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

> 
> Unfortunately, as I already explained to you in
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/9/29/37, my resources for IXP4xx are very
> limited (and this isn't a paid job) and I'm in no way able to do what
> you require. This, coupled with my inability to make the patches end up
> upstream any other way, will make me post relevant MAINTAINERS changes
> shortly.
> 
> Don't get me wrong. If I had time for this it could be different.
> Unfortunately IXP4xx is a legacy arch, and for me it's simply a hobby at
> this point. Given the raised barriers to participate, probably aimed at
> paid maintainers, I have to quit doing this.
> 
> BTW since Imre has probably even much less time, it would be a good time
> to find someone to maintain IXP4xx code. I will be publishing (from time
> to time) my tree (I'm using the hw myself), so even simple
> cherry-picking would probably make some sense.

I maintain a tree for the ep93xx, which is another legacy arm soc. I
also do this as a hobbyist, not as a paid position. Pushing patches to
mainline via arm-soc has been very easy. Basically I branch from Linus's
tree (typically 3.x-rc1), apply patches to one of a bunch of branches
(-devel, -fixes, etc) and then send pull requests to the arm-soc
maintainers prior to the merge window. I also have a aggregate branch
which is tested in next.

It takes very little of my time to maintain this tree. I cannot see how
it could be any harder than sending to Linus directly. Also, the arm-soc
maintainers, Arnd and Olof, have been very helpful in getting me started
with my maintainer tree, and in learning the development flow.

I would also rather get flamed by the arm-soc guys than Linus when I
make a mistake :-).

~Ryan