Subject: [PATCH 0/6] drivers: convert struct spinlock to spinlock_t

From: [email-masked] (Arend van Spriel)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 22:21:33 +0100

On 11/30/2012 09:25 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Arend van Spriel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> So what is the rationale here. During mainlining our drivers we had to
>>> remove all uses of 'typedef struct foo foo_t;'. The Linux CodingStyle
>>> (chapter 5 Typedefs) is spending a number of lines explaining why.
>>>
>>> So is spinlock_t an exception to this rule simply because the kernel
>>> uses spinlock_t all over the place.
>>
>> Yes.
> 
> Let me provide a better explanation. In practice drivers should not be
> creating their own typedefs given that generally the reasons to create
> them do not exist for drivers. The kernel may provide their own though
> for reasons explained in CodingStyle and in such cases the drivers
> should use these supplied typedefs.

Ok. Fine by me. It just looked like a case of saying a and doing b.
Thanks for taking time giving the better explanation :-)

Gr. AvS