Subject: [PATCH] clk: debug clock tree

From: [email-masked] (Prashant Gaikwad)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:23:30 +0530

On Thursday 13 December 2012 11:31 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 09:27 AM, Mike Turquette wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Prashant Gaikwad <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Adds debug file "clock_tree" in /sys/kernel/debug/clk dir.
>>> It helps to view all the clock registered in tree format.
>>>
>> Prashant,
>>
>> Thanks for submitting this.  We've been talking about having a single
>> file for representing the tree for some time.
>>
>> Regarding the output format had you considered using a well known
>> format which can be parsed using well known parsing libs?  This avoids
>> needing a custom parser just for this one file.  JSON springs to mind
>> as something lightweight and well-understood.
> One advantage of the format below is that it's very easily
> human-readable, and it's not too hard to parse (although I guess you'd
> have to parse the indent level to get parent/child relation, which would
> suck a bit). Is there room to provide both? Otherwise, I guess the
> kernel could include a script to convert from JSON/whatever into the
> format below.
>
>>> For example:
>>>     clock                        enable_cnt  prepare_cnt  rate
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>   i2s0_sync                      0           0            24000000
>>>   spdif_in_sync                  0           0            24000000
>>>      spdif_mux                   0           0            24000000
>>>         spdif                    0           0            24000000
>>>            spdif_doubler         0           0            48000000
>>>               spdif_div          0           0            48000000
>>>                  spdif_2x        0           0            48000000
>

Even I think that output must be easily human-readable. How about adding 
sysfs to switch between human-readable and machine-readable format?
I will try come up with a implementation.