Subject: [PATCH] clk: debug clock tree

From: [email-masked] (Prashant Gaikwad)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:56:22 +0530

On Saturday 22 December 2012 04:26 AM, Mike Turquette wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Prashant Gaikwad <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thursday 13 December 2012 11:31 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
>>> On 12/13/2012 09:27 AM, Mike Turquette wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Prashant Gaikwad <[email-masked]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>> Adds debug file "clock_tree" in /sys/kernel/debug/clk dir.
>>>>> It helps to view all the clock registered in tree format.
>>>>>
>>>> Prashant,
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for submitting this.  We've been talking about having a single
>>>> file for representing the tree for some time.
>>>>
>>>> Regarding the output format had you considered using a well known
>>>> format which can be parsed using well known parsing libs?  This avoids
>>>> needing a custom parser just for this one file.  JSON springs to mind
>>>> as something lightweight and well-understood.
>>> One advantage of the format below is that it's very easily
>>> human-readable, and it's not too hard to parse (although I guess you'd
>>> have to parse the indent level to get parent/child relation, which would
>>> suck a bit). Is there room to provide both? Otherwise, I guess the
>>> kernel could include a script to convert from JSON/whatever into the
>>> format below.
>>>
>>>>> For example:
>>>>>      clock                        enable_cnt  prepare_cnt  rate
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>    i2s0_sync                      0           0            24000000
>>>>>    spdif_in_sync                  0           0            24000000
>>>>>       spdif_mux                   0           0            24000000
>>>>>          spdif                    0           0            24000000
>>>>>             spdif_doubler         0           0            48000000
>>>>>                spdif_div          0           0            48000000
>>>>>                   spdif_2x        0           0            48000000
>>>
>> Even I think that output must be easily human-readable. How about adding
>> sysfs to switch between human-readable and machine-readable format?
>> I will try come up with a implementation.
>>
> Do you mean a sysfs file which controls the output format?  How about
> just two different files?  One can be clk-dump (machine readable) and
> the other is clk-summary (human readable).

It is also fine. Is this patch ok for human-readable format? or any 
suggestions?
I will change the file name to clk-summary.

> Regards,
> Mike