Subject: [PATCH] ARM: nommu: re-enable use of vexpress without ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Covington)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:20:57 -0500

On 01/10/2013 05:16 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

[...]

> I'd certainly be happy with
> 
> * removing the intentional build error for ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, but leaving
>   it in for !ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM
> * having mach-virt enabled by default on ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, and only
>   visible for EXPERT.
> * making mach-virt compatible with all CPUs starting with ARM7.
> 
> That would make allnoconfig, allyesconfig and allmodconfig work (besides
> all the other bugs) on qemu at least, avoid build errors with randconfig
> and make it hard enough to build a kernel that doesn't run on anything.

If this is going to be the approach, I would like to once again suggest that
paths, configuration options, and compatibility strings along the lines of
"mach-genericarmv7", "Generic ARMv7 Machine", and "linux,genericarmv7" be
considered in place of "mach-virt", "Dummy Virtual Machine" and
"linux,dummy-virt", respectively.

Virtualization may have been the initial motivation for creating mach-virt,
but the code is clearly also immediately applicable to other environments such
as simulation/emulation, and sticking to a name like "Dummy Virtual Machine"
makes it sound like such usage is erroneous.

Regards,
Christopher

-- 
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by
the Linux Foundation