Subject: Failure to boot...

From: [email-masked] (Santosh Shilimkar)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:40:51 +0530

On Thursday 31 January 2013 07:30 PM, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2013 06:34 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 06:19:59PM +0530, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
>>> On Thursday 31 January 2013 04:10 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>>>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 09:20:24AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux
>>>> wrote:
>>>>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:19:40PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>>>>>> Better yet (IMHO): just enable the zboot command in U-Boot to let you
>>>>>> boot a zImage binary directly.
>>>>>
>>>>> I wish it were that easy but it isn't.  I've no idea where to get a
>>>>> version of uboot for my boards which supports that; TI have always
>>>>> supplied updates to uboot for me, and with the current state of TI
>>>>> being afaict in chaos.
>>>>>
>>>>> TI have always supplied a replacement X-Loader with each uboot update.
>>>>> I've no idea what X-Loader is or why both get updated together, but...
>>>>>
>>>>> Moreover, I doubt that the 3430LDP, of which there are multiple
>>>>> versions,
>>>>> will ever see a uboot update.  It already suffers from a lack of
>>>>> correct
>>>>> kernel support due to random wiring changes between these versions
>>>>> (the
>>>>> keypad doesn't work correctly) and I've yet to indentify which version
>>>>> it is despite downloading the circuits.  So trying to locate the right
>>>>> uboot will be impossible there.
>>>>>
>>>>> So, I'm _stuck_ with uImages for these platforms.
>>>>
>>>> Right, so I'm now passing LOADADDR= which allows this to work - and the
>>>> latest OMAP4430SDP boot result shows almost the same sad broken story.
>>>>
>>> I just tried latest mainline (commit: 04c2eee5) and default config
>>> just boots fine.
>>
>> Please read the notes at the bottom of the page, specifically:
>>   * Build tree is currently created on an ad-hoc basis from Linus'
>> tip, rmk's
>>     development tip and arm-soc for-next branches.
>>
>> This system does *not* build and boot vanilla mainline kernels.  It is
>> (as the above says):
>>
>> - Linus' tip
>> - My for-next plus a few other bits
>> - arm-soc for-next
>>
>> all merged together.
>>
> Linus' tip(commit: 04c2eee5) + arm-soc for-next boots fine as well.
> The pull request from Tony [1] fixed the multi-platform boot issue
> for OMAP.
>
> Now trying to merge your for-next and test.
>
This is fine as well. I think the issue is the way uImage is created.
'make LOADADDRESS=XXXX uImage' actually doesn't work. Am using below
method to create an uImage.

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x80008000 -e 0x80008000 -n 
"Linux" -d zImage uImage

Will you be able to try this out please ?

Regards,
Santosh