Subject: [PATCH 4/5] ARM: OMAP2+: Simplify system timers definitions

From: [email-masked] (Jon Hunter)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 09:27:43 -0600

On 01/30/2013 11:04 AM, Jon Hunter wrote:
> There is a lot of redundancy in the definitions for the various system
> timers for OMAP2+ devices. For example, the omap3_am33xx_gptimer_timer_init()
> function is the same as the omap3_gp_gptimer_timer_init() function and the
> function omap2_sync32k_timer_init() can be re-used for OMAP4/5 devices.

After further testing, I have found that using the
omap2_sync32k_timer_init() for omap4/5 devices does not work for the
case where we boot with boot parameter "clocksource=gp_timer". The
problem is omap4/5 devices, unlike omap2/3 devices, does not have a
clock alias for "timer_sys_ck" with NULL as the device name. Therefore
we fail to find the parent clock and boot fails.

So I am going to update this patch so that omap4 and omap5 both use
omap4_sync32k_timer_init() and just get rid of the extra function
defined for omap5.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Jon