Subject: [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

From: [email-masked] (Tom Rini)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:20:56 -0500

On 02/21/2013 05:37 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:37:10PM -0600, Joel A Fernandes wrote:
>> Hello, I've been spinning some work-in-progress patches for FIT
>> build support in the kernel. With the move to multiplatform
>> support on OMAP, I feel it is a good time to add  FIT support,
>> also looking at the proliferating number of dtbs, as it is a nice
>> way
> 
> I'm not looking to add yet another crappy uboot image format to the
> kernel just for the hell of uboot.

Note that FIT images are relatively old (docs date back to March
2008).  This is more of another effort to try and update what the
kernel uses.

> And don't think that the dtbs in the kernel are going to stay
> there.  The longer term plan is for them to end up in an external
> git tree, entirely separate from the kernel source.  So anything
> that ties them with the kernel build process will ultimately have
> to be removed again.

Well, once the device trees move to some external location, this
script could also easily move out with it.  And I'd hope there'd be
interest out in the rest of the world for a single file boots on
multiple platforms image format.  If the ability to do this was
actually well known, it might even stop people from re-inventing the
wheel for fun (re-inventing due to design problems with the previous
wheel is acceptable).

We're just about to make a lot of folks lives harder (whatever the
userbase is for omap2plus_defconfig).  How much time do we want to
spend offering up alternatives?

- -- 
Tom