Subject: [U-Boot] [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:32:39 -0600

On 02/21/2013 08:22 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:19:05PM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> 
>> The desired FPGA use case is DT updates after booting the kernel. This
>> has nothing to do with FIT images. And if the FPGA tools generate the
>> DTB, then it is certainly not tied to the kernel.
> 
> Completely unrelated, but do you have any pointer for how to do this?
> Hot plugging a 'dtb fragment' into the kernel would be really handy..
> 

Look at "Introducing Device Tree Overlays" on devicetree-discuss and lkml.

> I'm thinking something like adding a tree below a PCI controller
> describing a PCI device and sub nodes, similar to what Thierry was
> doing for his Avionics. How would interrupt maps and phandles be
> managed across the main dtb and the 'hot plugged' dtb?

Generally you don't describe the devices on PCI unless there are
non-discoverable aspects like a sideband gpio.

Rob