Subject: [PATCH v3 0/9] refactoring for mask_cache

From: [email-masked] (Gerlando Falauto)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:40:29 +0100

Hi,

sorry about the delay (been busy with other stuff).
First of all thanks for your hints. I have some questions.
This is my first time, so please be gentle... :-)

On 03/19/2013 12:56 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 07:44:31AM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
>> Those commit IDs are going to change once LinusW (I presume) applies
>> them to his tree, so he'll have to edit each commit message to point the
>> the correct commit.
>>
>> LinusW, do you want me to handle this?
>
> Never mind, coffee underflow to /dev/brain.  One drawback to mutt, can't
> view thread while typing messages...

1) I had no idea who LinusW is, I assume Linus Walleij who should be the 
maintainer of linux-gpio. And linux-gpio should have nothing to do with 
this discussion... so I should assume you never mentioned him, right?

2) About the SOB part... most of this is inspired by Simon's original 
(single) patch and Holger's reworking. Should they be given credit or 
not? If yes, how? If I don't get an answer I would just assume no and 
I'll take all the blame and credit all by myself. :-)

3) Jason, did you mean you would pull it to 
http://git.infradead.org/users/jcooper/linux.git? Shall I change the SOB 
lines and resubmit? Or should I submit it somewhere else instead?

4) About submitting to -stable, I guess it wouldn't make any sense until 
it gets included upstream 
(https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/ so to 
speak). Is that right?
Or at least to jcooper's tree, through which it should eventually make 
it mainline through a merge (therefore keeping its commit-id). That right?

I did read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt and what I understand 
is that it would be enough to submit to stable at vger.kernel.org only the 
last one, while providing a list of

  Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.0.x: 123456 first patch
  Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.0.x: 123457 second patch
  Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.0.x: 123458 third patch

using the mainstream (or jcooper's) commit IDs.

I don't know whether I'd have to repeat that for each version (3.0 will 
include only a subset of this series, while 3.7 and following will need 
the whole nine yards, and what's in between... well, something in between).

Please let me know what to do. Again, it's my first time so please be 
gentle. :-)

Thanks again!
Gerlando

>> If you prefer to take it:
>>
>> Acked-by: Jason Cooper <[email-masked]>
>
> for the plat-orion/gpio.c bits and if it helps, the gpio-mvebu.c bits.
>
> thx,
>
> Jason.
>