Subject: [PATCH v4 1/6] drivers: phy: add generic PHY framework

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:45:14 -0600

On 03/27/2013 11:43 PM, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
> The PHY framework provides a set of APIs for the PHY drivers to
> create/destroy a PHY and APIs for the PHY users to obtain a reference to the

> diff --git a/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/phy/phy-bindings.txt b/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/phy/phy-bindings.txt

> +This document explains only the dt data binding. For general information about
> +PHY subsystem refer Documentation/phy.txt
> +
> +PHY device node
> +===============
> +
> +Optional Properties:
> +#phy-cells:	Number of cells in a PHY specifier;  The meaning of all those
> +		cells is defined by the binding for the phy node. However
> +		in-order to return the correct PHY, the PHY susbsystem
> +		requires the first cell always refers to the port.

Why impose that restriction? Other DT bindings do not.

This is typically implemented by having each provider driver implement a
.of_xlate() operation, which parses all of the specifier cells, and
returns the ID of the object it represents. This allows bindings to use
whatever arbitrary representation they want.

For the common/simple cases where #phy-cells==0, or #phy-cells==1 and
directly represents the PHY ID, the PHY core can provide an
implementation of that common .of_xlate() function, which PHY provider
drivers can simply plug in as their .of_xlate() function.

> +This property is optional because it is needed only for the case where a
> +single IP implements multiple PHYs.

The property should always exist so that the DT-parsing code in the PHY
core can always validate exactly how many cells are present in the PHY
specifier.

> +
> +For example:
> +
> +phys: phy {
> +    compatible = "xxx";
> +    reg1 = <...>;
> +    reg2 = <...>;
> +    reg3 = <...>;

3 separate reg values should be 3 separate entries in a single reg
property, not 3 separate reg properties, with non-standard names.

> +    .
> +    .
> +    #phy-cells = <1>;
> +    .
> +    .
> +};
> +
> +That node describes an IP block that implements 3 different PHYs. In order to
> +differentiate between these 3 PHYs, an additonal specifier should be given
> +while trying to get a reference to it. (The PHY subsystem assumes the
> +specifier is port id).

A single DT node would typically represent a single HW IP block, and
hence typically have a single reg property. If there are 3 separate HW
IP blocks, and their register aren't interleaved, and hence can be
represented by 3 separate reg values, then I'd typically expect to see 3
separate DT nodes, one for each independent register range.

The only case where I'd expect a single DT node to provide multipe PHYs,
is when a single HW IP block actually implements multiple PHYs /and/ the
registers for those 3 PHYs are interleaved (or share bits in the same
registers) such that each PHY can't be represented by a separate
non-overlapping reg property.

> +example1:
> +phys: phy {

How about:

Example 1:

usb1: usb at xxx {

> +};
> +This node represents a controller that uses two PHYs one for usb2 and one for

Blank line after }?

> +usb3. The controller driver can get the appropriate PHY either by using
> +devm_of_phy_get/of_phy_get by passing the correct index or by using
> +of_phy_get_byname/devm_of_phy_get_byname by passing the names given in
> +*phy-names*.

Discussions of Linux-specific driver APIs should be in the Linux API
documentation, not the DT binding documentation, which is supposed to be
OS-agnostic. Instead, perhaps say:

Individual bindings must specify the required set of entries the phys
property. Bindings must also specify either a required order for those
entries in the phys property, or specify required set of names that must
be present in the phy-names property, in which case the order is arbitrary.

> +example2:
> +phys: phy {

How about:

Example 2:

usb2: usb at yyy {

> +This node represents a controller that uses one of the PHYs which is defined
> +previously. Note that the phy handle has an additional specifier "1" to
> +differentiate between the three PHYs. For this case, the controller driver
> +should use of_phy_get_with_args/devm_of_phy_get_with_args.

I think tha last sentence should be removed, and perhaps the previous
sentence extended with:

, as required by #phy-cells = <1> in the PHY provider node.

> diff --git a/drivers/phy/phy-core.c b/drivers/phy/phy-core.c

> +subsys_initcall(phy_core_init);

Why not make that module_init(); device probe() ordering should be
handled using -EPROBE_DEFER these days, so the exact initcall used
doesn't really matter, and hence it'd be best to use the most common one
rather than something unusual.