Subject: [PATCH v2 12/13] ARM: move sp804 and integrator timers to drivers/clocksource

From: [email-masked] (Rob Herring)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:49:11 -0500

On 04/01/2013 06:26 PM, John Stultz wrote:
> On 04/01/2013 03:21 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
>> diff --git a/drivers/clocksource/integrator_ap_timer.c
>> b/drivers/clocksource/integrator_ap_timer.c
>> new file mode 100644
>> index 0000000..05e6204
>> --- /dev/null
>> +++ b/drivers/clocksource/integrator_ap_timer.c
> [snip]

>> +CLOCKSOURCE_OF_DECLARE(integrator_ap, "integrator-timer",
>> ap_of_timer_init);
> 
> So, most of the code here is really clockevent code and not clocksource
> code. I realize they were combined in the mach directory you're copying
> them from, but if we're going to move all this code out of the arch
> directory and into drivers/, I'd like to propose we not dump it all into
> drivers/clocksource.

Arguably, half the h/w is used for clocksource and half for clockevent
so it is equal. :) The sp804 and integrator are somewhat separated that
carving them up may be possible, but there are examples like i.MX timers
where the implementations are tied more closely together (the clockevent
compare value is the clocksource counter + delta).

Where do I put the init functions which need to know about both?

What about all the other timers that are already in drivers/clocksource?

> 
> For more context here see:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg234074.html

Seems like this is more a maintainer issue than necessarily what is the
right split of code (not that those are completely unrelated). Perhaps
splitting maintainership between core and drivers is needed. It
definitely seems Thomas cannot keep up with the plethora of ARM related
timers and irqchips getting moved into drivers/.

Rob

> So unless Thomas objects, would you be willing to break this change up
> adding the relevant irq related bits to a new drivers/clockevents
> directory? You can leave the sched_clock bits to clocksource for now,
> since I think that logic should eventually be integrated with the
> clocksource core.
> 
> When you resubmit, please also add Daniel Lezcano
> <[email-masked]> to the cc.
> 
> thanks
> -john