Subject: [PATCH V2] video: implement a simple framebuffer driver

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:16:00 -0600

On 04/08/2013 06:16 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed,  3 Apr 2013 20:39:43 -0600 Stephen Warren <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> A simple frame-buffer describes a raw memory region that may be rendered
>> to, with the assumption that the display hardware has already been set
>> up to scan out from that buffer.
>>
>> This is useful in cases where a bootloader exists and has set up the
>> display hardware, but a Linux driver doesn't yet exist for the display
>> hardware.
>>
>> ...
>>
>> +config FB_SIMPLE
>> +	bool "Simple framebuffer support"
>> +	depends on (FB = y) && OF
> 
> It's sad that this simple little thing requires Open Firmware.  Could
> it be generalised in some way so that the small amount of setup info
> could be provided by other means (eg, module_param) or does the
> dependency go deeper than that?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if others want to feed it platform data
rather than parameterizing it through device tree. All my platforms use
DT though, so I didn't want to add that support without any user; it'd
just be dead code for now. But, if someone wants that, I can certainly
code it up or test/review after the change etc.