Subject: MVEBU and MVNETA driver

From: [email-masked] (Greg)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:07:40 +0200

Hello All,

This is my first post there, let me introduce myself: I am an embedded 
systems designer working in a French ISP. My goal is to design devices 
with a minimalistic software package installed that system/software 
engineers can use as a base for their work. Said in a few words : I'm 
not the kernel expert but I have some knowledge of it.

That being said, I'm currently working with a Marvell ArmadaXP SoC and 
I'm performing the transition from Marvell "Linux Support Package" to 
MVEBU in the 3.8.8 Vanilla.
Having the system up and running was actually quite easy, Thomas 
Petazzoni and his team did a very good job!

I'm facing a problem with ethernet transmission (reception -seems- to be 
fine), at best is it slow (~90Mbps), at worst the kernel OOPSes at 
various locations dealing with memory (tcp_v4_destroy_sock, free_block 
and skb_put seen so far) and ends up crashing right after.
I'm simply using iperf to generate traffic and the system has been 
stable for a while with Marvell's LSP so I can say with confidence the 
hardware is pretty stable.

My question is fairly simple : before complaining about the network 
driver (which might not even be involved in this), what is the starting 
point to gather more information about this problem and what data should 
I provide you to help you advising me ?

Thank you very much!