Subject: [PATCH RFC] clk: Introduce userspace clock driver

From: [email-masked] (Saravana Kannan)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:23:03 -0700

On 05/11/2013 07:21 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 04:01:25PM -0700, Saravana Kannan wrote:
>> On 05/10/2013 03:18 PM, Mike Turquette wrote:
>
> Guys please delete irrelevant context from replies...
>
>>> One way to do it is to introduce a new config option,
>>> CONFIG_COMMON_CLK_DEBUG_CONTROL that would expose the controls for
>>> every clock in the existing debugfs infrastructure.  The downside to
>>> this approach is that it would get abused and ship in millions of
>>> Android products using horrible userspace hacks to control clocks.
>>> Maybe that's not our problem to solve, maybe it is.
>
>> We already have this for MSM. But I seem to have managed to keep our
>> userspace guys away from abusing it. YMMV.
>
> It's much harder when it's in the standard kernel and there's no contact
> with some of the users.  I've pushed back pretty strongly on some of
> your equivalent stuff for regulators for this reason.

Agreed. I don't really keep up with what's going on with the MSM regulators.

But at some point, I'll start requesting for this for debugfs. It's 
terribly handy to debug power issues, run unit tests and for debug 
sessions (debugfs. So, clearly!).

-Saravana

-- 
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation