Subject: [PATCH v7 5/9] ARM: OMAP: USB: Add phy binding information

From: [email-masked] (Kishon Vijay Abraham I)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:34:36 +0530

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 June 2013 03:14 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 02:13:55PM +0530, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>> In order for controllers to get PHY in case of non dt boot, the phy
>> binding information (phy device name) should be added in the platform
>> data of the controller.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Kishon Vijay Abraham I <[email-masked]>
>
> I would rather not pass strings around, any other way to handle this ?
> Why do you need to pass this string ?

Our old way of binding the controller and the phy using device name 
started creating problems after the devices are created using 
PLATFORM_DEVID_AUTO. Infact non-dt boot is broken in mainline for OMAP3 
platforms for which I have posted a RFC series 
http://www.serverphorums.com/read.php?12,708632 which also uses strings.
I'm not sure of any other way to deal with this.

Thanks
Kishon