Subject: [PATCH v4] drm/i2c: tda998x: fix sync generation and calculation

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Hesselbarth)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:28:16 +0200

On 06/20/2013 10:06 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:46:03PM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
>> +	ref_pix      = 3 + mode->hsync_start - mode->hdisplay;
>> +	de_pix_s     = mode->htotal - mode->hdisplay;
>> +	de_pix_e     = de_pix_s + mode->hdisplay;
>> +	hs_pix_s     = mode->hsync_start - mode->hdisplay;
>> +	hs_pix_e     = hs_pix_s + mode->hsync_end - mode->hsync_start;
>
> Correct, however, these can be simplified.
[...]
> These calculations are the same as what was originally in the driver:
>
> +       de_start   = mode->htotal - mode->hdisplay;
> +       de_end     = mode->htotal;
> +       hs_start   = mode->hsync_start - mode->hdisplay;
> +       hs_end     = mode->hsync_end - mode->hdisplay;
>
> when it was first committed.
>
> This is otherwise exactly what I came up with which gets my TV working
> again in HDMI mode.

Russell,

I am fine with any way to describe de/hs but you should notice that
I also modified refpix/refline and added interlaced sync. With the
original sync calculation, on some modes there was source blanking
captured by TDA998x which was also visible in the output image. I
chose the above description to make it more readable.

Also the patch takes care of input sync and output sync inversion
while the original driver always expected positive HS/VS.

I tested these sync settings on 4 DVI monitors and TV sets all
accepted each mode perfectly. Especially, not-so-cheap TV sets
are very picky about wrong sync.

Sebastian