Subject: [PATCH 2/2] pwm: Add PWM polarity flag macros for DT

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:40:37 -0600

On 07/11/2013 08:37 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Define PWM_POLARITY_NORMAL and PWM_POLARITY_INVERTED macros in
> include/dt-bindings/pwm/pwm.h to be used by device tree sources.

>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/atmel-tcb-pwm.txt |  6 +++---
>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-samsung.txt   |  5 +++--
>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm-tiehrpwm.txt  |  5 +++--
>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/pwm.txt           |  8 +++++---
>  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/vt8500-pwm.txt    |  5 +++--
>  arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-evm.dts                        |  3 ++-
>  arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-evmsk.dts                      |  3 ++-
>  arch/arm/boot/dts/wm8850-w70v2.dts                      |  3 ++-
>  include/dt-bindings/pwm/pwm.h                           | 15 +++++++++++++++
>  include/linux/pwm.h                                     |  4 ++--

I think this needs to be separate patches; at least the new pwm.h should
be introduced separately to the board-specific *.dts edits, and perhaps
further split up?

That way, the one patch that introduces <dt-bindings/pwm.h> would be
available to be merged into any other tree that wanted to take patches
to use the new defines.

> diff --git a/include/linux/pwm.h b/include/linux/pwm.h

>  enum pwm_polarity {
> -	PWM_POLARITY_NORMAL,
> -	PWM_POLARITY_INVERSED,
> +	PWM_POLARITY_NORMAL = 0,
> +	PWM_POLARITY_INVERSED = 1,
>  };

Rather than manually editing that to ensure the enum matches the DT
bindings header, the whole point of making a separate <dt-bindings/...>
directory was that drivers could include the binding header files
directly to avoid having to duplicate the constant definitions. Can't
<linux/pwm.h> include <dt-bindings/pwm.h> and remove that enum?