Subject: [PATCH v2 10/22] iommu/tegra: smmu: Move IOMMU to core_initcall

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:21:58 -0600

On 07/05/2013 04:44 AM, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:
> Move IOMMU to core_initcall in order to instanciate this device earlier
> than others since IOMMU driver needs to reigster other platform
> devices as IOMMU'able.

If both the AHB and SMMU driver are core_initcall, there's no guarantee
at all re: which order they'll get probed in. Deferred probe won't help
here, since I don't think it's guaranteed to be repeated, so if the
probe order is:

1) SMMU (fails since AHB isn't available)
2) AHB

... then the SMMU might not get probed until /much/ later; probably
after devices that are affected by the SMMU are probed.

However, it all works out if the probe order just accidentally happens
to be:

1) AHB
2) SMMU.

So, this really doesn't look like a viable solution.