Subject: [PATCH] bcm53xx: initial support for the BCM5301/BCM470X SoC with ARM CPU

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:06:52 -0600

On 07/29/2013 07:20 AM, Matt Porter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:30:00AM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
...
>> I'd be happy to have "broadcom" for all *new* bindings, as it's already
>> in some bindings alongside "bcm" and "brcm", and is certainly the
>> clearest of the available options.
>>
>> However, given the strong feelings of many against breaking existing
>> dts, we need to support the existing instances of "bcm" and "brcm" in
> 
> Whoa, how would existing dts break? At this instant in time, all the
> bindings and dts are still in the kernel tree. A series to address this
> make all bindings, drivers, and dts consistent in one shot.

While there are some *.dts files in the kernel source tree, that is no
guarantee that:

a) People don't have custom *.dts files that are not in the kernel
source tree, and hence can't be updated by Linux kernel patches.

b) People actually replace their *.dtb when updating their zImage. Since
DT is explicitly supposed to be an ABI, everything is explicitly
supposed to work if they do only update their zImage and not their *.dtb.