Subject: [v3 1/2] dma: mmp_pdma: add support for residue reporting

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Mack)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:40:06 +0200

On 16.08.2013 09:57, Xiang Wang wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 12:19 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> In order to report the channel's residue, we have to memorize the first
>> dma buffer position when the channel is configured.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Daniel Mack <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>   drivers/dma/mmp_pdma.c | 45 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
>>   1 file changed, 43 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>>
> 
>> +static unsigned int mmp_pdma_residue(struct mmp_pdma_chan *chan)
>> +{
>> +	struct mmp_pdma_desc_sw *sw;
>> +	u32 curr, done = 0;
>> +
>> +	if (chan->dir == DMA_DEV_TO_MEM)
>> +		curr = readl(chan->phy->base + DTADR(chan->phy->idx));
> One concern for this patch:
> If we call dmaengine_tx_status() after dma_do_tasklet at mmp_pdma.c, 
> chan->phy will most likely to be NULL.
> dma_do_tasklet() -> start_pending_queue() -> mmp_pdma_free_phy()

Yes, I noticed this, too. I'm not really sure what the reason is to call
start_pending_queue() _before_ the callbacks are done. A quick test
shows that it works as well the other way around.

> For why do we call dmaengine_tx_status() after a DMA interrupt:
> briefly, if we use DMA to handle device trailing bytes, it'll report a 
> DMA interrupt. We need to get to know how many bytes have been received 
> in the IRQ handler.
> We've discussed about this in the link below:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1500713

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of that discussion. And I actually
second what Andy said: As long as the residue calculation algorithm can
cope with the chan->phy==NULL condition and return 0 in that case, it's
actually doing the right thing, because a completed transaction has a
residue of 0 bytes.

I'll send out another series later, that also aims to fix the tasklet
behaviour. I'd appreciate another round of reviews :)

Daniel