Subject: [RFC PATCH dtc] C-based DT schema checker integrated into dtc

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:13:46 -0600

On 10/28/2013 04:17 AM, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 03:44:09PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> On 10/25/2013 12:43 AM, Grant Likely wrote:
>>> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:51:28 +0100, Stephen Warren
>>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> From: Stephen Warren <[email-masked]>
>>>> 
>>>> This is a very quick proof-of-concept re: how a DT schema
>>>> checker might look if written in C, and integrated into dtc.
>>> 
>>> Thanks for looking at this.
>>> 
>>> Very interesting. Certainly an expedient way to start checking
>>> schemas, and for certain bindings it may be the best approach.
>>> The downside is it forces a recompilation of DTC to bring in
>>> new bindings and it isn't a great meduim for mixing schema with
>>> documentation in the bindings.
>> 
>> This approach would certainly require recompiling something. I
>> threw the code into dtc simply because it was the easiest
>> container for the demonstration. It could be a separate DT
>> validation utility if we wanted, although we'd need to split the
>> DT parser from dtc into a library to avoid code duplication. The
>> resultant utility could be part of the repo containing the DTs,
>> so it didn't end up as a separate package to manage.
>> 
>> I think the additional documentation could be added as comments
>> in the validation functions, just like IIRC it was to be
>> represented as comments even in the .dts-based schema proposals.
> 
> Fwiw, I've been starting to do some hacking on the checks code,
> with a view to making it accomodate the schema stuff better.
> Branch 'checking' on the kernel.org tree.  In a state of flux, so
> expect rebases.

Did you forget to push that? I don't see it in any of:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jdl/dtc.git
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dtc/dtc.git
git://git.jdl.com/software/dtc.git