Subject: [PATCH] clk: add flags to distinguish xtal clocks

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:27:58 -0700

On 11/08/2013 11:00 AM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> From: Luciano Coelho <[email-masked]>
> 
> Add a flag that indicate whether the clock is a crystal or not.
> 
> Additionally, parse a new device tree binding in clk-fixed-rate to set
> this flag.
> 
> If clock-xtal isn't set, the clock framework will assume clock to be
> generated by an oscillator.  There's only one user for this binding
> right now which is Texas Instruments' WiLink devices which need to know
> details about the clock in order to initialize the underlying WiFi HW
> correctly.

Why on earth does it care? Surely the WiFi HW doesn't care about
crystal-vs-non-crystal, but rather some facet of the clock signal that
the type of source implies. Shouldn't the DT property describe that
facet of the signal, rather than the reason why it has that facet?