Subject: ACPI

From: [email-masked] (Jon Masters)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:37:42 -0500

On 11/22/2013 03:59 PM, Jon Masters wrote:

> A few years ago, a strategic direction was chosen by a few industry
> players around UEFI and ACPI on ARM. I look forward to seeing standards
> published, to seeing more emerging members of this market announced
> their intentions, and to an engaging dialog about how support for these
> systems will be implemented so that there is one standardized 64-bit ARM
> server platform upon which customers can run anything they want. I hope
> we can have some really engaging conversation very soon about it.

To answer the rest of the thread a little more, what I look forward to
is (eventually) replacing every singe one of my personal servers with a
64-bit ARM based one running a generic OS. In the case of the Fedora
Server release (see the recent revival of that in connection with other
changes in the Fedora space), it is my intention that there ultimately
be supported ISO download media that can even be installed in a local
drive if anyone is antiquated enough to build such an ARM system. But
certainly installing multi-million node clusters (which will be the
norm) based upon HP Moonshot and other vendor hardware should "just
work", using standardized network boot and installation of any OS choice
you care to make, as should moving from one to another.

The bottom line for me is that for those moving from existing
architectures into the new world, everything else remains the same. Same
OEM vendor tooling used to design and build systems and deliver and
support them, same installation experience, very very boring. This is
exactly how ARM will succeed in the market. One Platform. Very very
boring and straightforward installation and management, and so on.

Jon.