Subject: [PATCH V2] dma: tegra: register as an OF DMA controller

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Warren)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:30:55 -0700

On 11/25/2013 03:09 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 25 November 2013 14:53:36 Stephen Warren wrote:
>> v2: Use of_dma_slave_xlate() rather than of_dma_simple_xlate(), as
>>     suggested by Arnd Bergmann.
>>
>> This patch is part of a series with strong internal depdendencies. I'm
>> looking for an ack so that I can take the entire series through the Tegra
>> and arm-soc trees. The series will be part of a stable branch that can be
>> merged into other subsystems if needed to avoid/resolve dependencies.
> 
> Did I suggest of_dma_slave_xlate()? I don't think I've actually heard
> of that function, and I can't find anything in the kernel source or
> using google.
> 
> Why not just use an open-coded xlate function?

Well, you suggested not using of_dma_simple_xlate() since it wasn't
appropriate. I then started to implement an open-coded xlate function,
but found that it was 99% identical to the same thing in the mmp driver,
and hence created a common of_dma_slave_xlate() so as not to just
cut/paste it everywhere. Unfortunately, I only sent that patch to
dmaengine at vger.kernel.org and the DMA maintainers, and there's no
archive of that list:-(