Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Doc/DT: DT bindings for various display components

From: [email-masked] (Tomi Valkeinen)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:04:38 +0200

Hi Rob, Pawel, Mark, Ian, Kumar,

On 28/02/14 18:56, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 06:48:35PM +0200, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
>> This is totally unclear to me. How does it become a public standard?
>> What's the forum for this?
> 
> Me too.  That's where I'd hope someone on devicetree-discuss will be
> able to help us work out what's the right approach here. :)

The story briefly so far: I've implemented DT support for OMAP display,
and created bindings for various (non-OMAP) display components,
including generic connector bindings for DVI, HDMI and analog-tv.

Russell's point was that these connector bindings are very generic, i.e.
they are not for any particular chip from a particular vendor, but for
any connector for DVI, HDMI or analog-tv. And he's worried that maybe we
shouldn't define such generic bindings without consulting the whole
device-tree community (i.e including non-linux users).

So the question is, is there such a community and a forum to bring up
this kind of things? If yes, should we bring this up there? If yes, what
kind of things in general should be brought into the attention of
non-linux users?

What I wonder here is that while a thing like DVI connector is, of
course, more generic than, say, "ti,tfp410" encoder chip, but isn't the
case still the same: we're defining global bindings for hardware that
should work for everyone, not only Linux users?

 Tomi

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 901 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20140303/e40abbd0/attachment-0001.sig>