Subject: I2C dummy adapter driver ?

From: [email-masked] (Sylwester Nawrocki)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:38:28 +0100

On 28/02/14 07:07, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:45:21PM +0100, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> 
>> The I2C bus driver with empty i2c_algorithm.master_xfer() helps WRT to
>> using standard DT binding and v4l2_subdev interface.
> 
> Wouldn't a platform device do just as well here if there's no actual
> control?

Then the I2C client devices would have to be instantiated manually, 
I think it's more trouble.
I could as well create custom I2C client drivers per ISP, but then the 
I2C devices would have to be represented somehow in DT, to pass stuff 
like voltage regulators and GPIOs. Anyway, it's not something could be 
done in mainline.

Even if there is no actual I2C communication on the host CPU side, the 
power up/down sequence is handled there. The intention is to keep this 
common per an I2C client, regardless of whether I2C communication is 
done by firmware or the host the CPU.