Subject: [PATCH 1/3] ARM: DT: STi: Add support to B2020 revision E board.

From: [email-masked] (Maxime Coquelin)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:15:49 +0100

On 03/11/2014 12:23 PM, Lee Jones wrote:
>>> From: Srinivas Kandagatla <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> This patch adds support to rev E board of B2020 which has few minor
>>> changes :
>>> 	PHY reset PIO (Change from PIO30 to PIO07)
>>> 	Power LED(Green) Control(Change from PIO47 to PIO13)
>>
>> I thought we decided last October to support only one revision of
>> the b2020 board.
>>
>> The idea was to create an external git to provide DTS for all our
>> boards, and only have a minimal subset in in the kernel.
>
> Ah, I was unaware of that conversation/decision. If that's the case we
> can scrap this submission along with the following patch.

In fact we had the discussion together with Arnd (IIRC) on #armlinux :)

The reason is we wanted to avoid flooding arch/arm/dts/ with all the 
possible combinations of board revisions.

The idea was to put in place a git repository at stlinux.com to provide 
the DTS for all the STi boards, and try to keep arch/arm/dts/sti* simple.

>
> JOOI, what happens if I want to boot Mainline on my revE board? It
> won't be fully functional will it? That will be a shame. The LEDs, not
> so much, but networking is a pretty big piece of functionality to
> lose.

I agree this is not comfortable.

The problem is that your patch is not enough. We would need to create 
much more files, because for example, the i2c used are not the same 
between rev. C and rev. E.

It gives theses files only for b2020 support:
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih415-b2020.dts
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih416-b2020e.dts
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih41x-b2020e.dtsi
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih416-b2020.dts
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih41x-b2020.dtsi
   arch/arm/boot/dts/stih41x-b2020x.dtsi

Regards,
Maxime