Subject: Change of TEXT_OFFSET for multi_v7_defconfig

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Thompson)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:44:14 +0100

On 17/04/14 21:35, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>> The above is useful for loading the raw uncompressed Image without 
>>> carrying the full ELF baggage.
>>
>> What exactly is the full ELF baggage? Aren't there existing mechanisms to omit
>> debugging symbols, for example, if size is of concern?
> 
> FWIW, it is a small non-intrusive change to produce ELFs with the
> proper LMA, if it is useful for specialized tooling, here is the 3.14
> version of the patch I created (I see it needs a bit of cleanup..)
> You must also force PATCH_PHYS_VIRT off.
> 
> The ELF also has the correct entry point address, so ELF tooling can
> just jump into it, after setting the proper register values according
> to the boot protocol.

That might be a useful approach for single platform kernels but I don't
think such an approach can work for multi-arch kernels since, because
the RAM can be located anywhere in the address map, the physical load
address is platform dependant.

Daniel.