Subject: [PATCH v2] ARM: dts: am33xx: Move the cppi41dma node so it's probed early

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Andrzej Siewior)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:09:07 +0200

On 04/29/2014 10:27 AM, George Cherian wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,

Hi George,

> On 4/29/2014 1:36 PM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
>> On 04/29/2014 09:58 AM, George Cherian wrote:
>>>>> This is easily fixed by moving the node at the beggining of the child
>>>>> list,
>>>>> so it's probed first.
>>> This will give issues on module removal.
>>> Since we use device_for_each_child in remove patch, it will try to
>>> remove cppi dma controller, while the channel
>>> is still in use by musb node.
>> Isn't this currently disabled because it blew up in the phy code?
> Yes. So how if the dt  looks like this

No. I remember we talked about this and we decided not to duct tape the
bug by moving the nodes around. Instead we wanted to disable the child
removal part (one tiny module that can't be removed) until the PHY code
does no longer blow up.
If the same case is for the DMA driver then it should be fixed, too.
The order of the nodes in .dts should not crash the kernel under any
circumstances. If a different node order accelerates the probing then
fine. But a crash is a no no.

Sebastian